There are two key benefits to using a construction time tracking software:
- Increase accountability (e.g., via features that restrict punches to a certain location, device, and so on).
- Save time on payroll (e.g., via features that automatically calculate each employee’s hours, overtime, time off, and more).
In this post, we’ll start by discussing how Buddy Punch (our construction time tracking app) excels in the above areas.
Then, we’ll introduce you to four other construction employee time tracking apps, so you can make a well-rounded decision.
Best Construction Time Tracking Software & Apps
Brief High-Level Overview of How Our Construction Time Tracking Software Works
Prior to exploring Buddy Punch’s accountability and payroll features in detail, here’s a brief high-level overview:
1. Crew members can easily punch in and out through the Buddy Punch mobile app, which is available for iPhone and Android. They can also punch in via a computer or tablet.
2. Buddy Punch saves you time on payroll by automatically calculating each employee’s regular hours, overtime, time off, and so on. You can pull up this information at any time and export it via Excel, as demonstrated below:
Increase Employee Accountability via Geofencing, Photos on Punch, and more
Buddy Punch offers a plethora of features to help you increase your crew’s accountability. In this section, we’ll touch on just a few key ones.
By activating our Geofencing feature, you can restrict employee punches to a specific worksite.
For example, let’s say your crew will be working tomorrow at 123 Main Street. You can restrict employee punches to within 300 feet of that address, and if they attempt to punch outside of it (e.g., from home), they will receive an error message.
In addition, if your crew(s) will work at multiple locations, you can set up multiple geofences.
If you choose to activate our Photos on Punch feature, as the name suggests, employees will have to take a photo of themselves each time they punch in or out.
The photos then become available for easy reference via our administrator dashboard, and you can quickly verify that crew members punched in and out from the correct worksite.
Additional Accountability Features
Buddy Punch offers many other accountability-related features, including but not limited to:
- Facial Recognition Punching: Employees can punch in and out by showing their face to a smartphone or webcam.
- GPS Tracking: Tracks each employee’s punch location but doesn’t restrict punches.
- IP Address Locking: Restricts punches to a specific device or Wi-Fi network.
Features to Help You Save Time on Payroll
Buddy Punch offers a plethora of features to help you save time on payroll. In this section, we’ll touch on just a few key ones.
As we’ve already stated, Buddy Punch saves you time on payroll by automatically calculating each employee’s regular hours, overtime, time off, and so on. You can pull up this information at any time and export it via Excel, as demonstrated above.
Transferring each employee’s work hours to your payroll provider is notoriously (1) time-consuming and (2) prone to human error.
To solve these issues once and for all and create a faster, more automated process, simply integrate Buddy Punch with your payroll provider.
We integrate with QuickBooks, Paychex, SurePayroll, ADP, Paylocity, Workday, Gusto, and more.
Buddy Punch offers a wide-range of time off tracking features and functionality. Below, we’ll share just a few key ones:
- Employees can send time off requests within the Buddy Punch app, optionally subject to an administrator’s approval.
- Each employee’s paid and unpaid time off hours are automatically calculated. You can access reports that include this information, alongside the balance remaining.
Buddy Punch makes it easy to create accrual rules and add them to your employees. If you’d like more information on how this works, see this video. (Note that there are also several other useful videos on our YouTube channel.)
Buddy Punch Offers Many Other Features
In this article, we’ve touched on just a few of Buddy Punch’s key features. However, there are many others.
For example, our platform lets you handle all your scheduling needs (from creation, to automatically notifying employees of shift changes, to shift trades and covers, and so on).
This article on the best construction employee scheduling software covers this in more detail.
We also offer features functionality such as:
- Overtime Calculations
- Job Codes / Project Tracking
- Time Card Approvals
- Multiple Punch and Login Options
- Adding, Editing, or Deleting Punches
- The list goes on.
No matter what your construction business needs, we likely have you covered. And if you have any questions, feel free to ask via live chat.
Online Reviews on Capterra
As of this writing date, Buddy Punch has 669 reviews and 4.8/5 stars on Capterra (a popular software review platform).
We’ve included just a few reviews from construction businesses below, but for the full list of reviews, click here.
“This program does exactly what I want it to do. I needed a simple time keeping app where I could customize things to suit each employee and I found it. They haven’t had any issues minus forgetting to clock in or out but those are easy fixes. If I have any questions I just use the messaging center and someone is always quick to respond and they have always been able to solve the problem or clarify something I may not have understood… I like the ability to track where employees are because prior to this app we had an employee who was being dishonest about where they were and it cost us money.”Click here to read the full review.
“Overall it’s a great app!!! I was able to easily navigate the app and desktop app. The guys were able to easily use it! It was much more efficient than the handwritten time sheets we have been using… This was so user friendly and easy to navigate. It is very affordable and breaks each individual’s hours down to a report that I could merge with our payroll provider. Also you can put in the job address so the employee has to be on-site to clock-in or out.. .I also LOVED how they weren’t pushy and have given us time to think it over without bugging us everyday like the other options have.”Click here to read the full review.
“Very inclusive of everything an admin needs to address different scenarios “in the field”. Multiple customer reps were available via “Chat” to help with set up and answer questions. Rep was very knowledgeable and helped me with every single question and scenario I had trouble with. Now I am familiar with the site and can easily use all its functions. Using Buddy Punch has been fabulous thus far.”Click here to read the full review.
Try Buddy Punch for Free
Buddy Punch is the best construction time tracking software for construction businesses. To learn more, visit our site and:
Workyard offers a great deal of features and functionality, some of which include:
It’s a great construction time tracking software. As of this writing date, it has 10 reviews and 5 stars on Capterra.
“The main solves were getting the employees hours together for the payroll service without having to chase each time card down. With this system I have it at my fingertips and can even use it as a billing tool to look back weeks/months behind to find that missing day or hours on a job that was not tabulated on the job list.”Click here to read the full review.
Connecteam offers a great deal of features and functionality, some of which include:
- Employee Time Clock
- Employee Scheduling
- Checklists and Forms
- Employee Training
- Employee Task Management
- Employee Communication
It’s one of the best time tracking construction apps. As of this writing date, it has 142 reviews and 4.8 stars on Capterra.
“Our job costing is coming out more accurate due to the time clock function. Guys are no longer guessing how long of a lunch they took, when they got to the job site, etc. We’ve seen the time it takes to do payroll has been cut substantially since we’re able to export clear precise spreadsheets; instead of using time cards & adding everything up manually. Also to be able to communicate over the app is huge, we can get progress photos easily & keep everyone on the same page.”Click here to read the full review.
Hubstaff offers a great deal of features and functionality, some of which include:
- Online Time Reporting
- Automated Payroll & Invoicing
- Employee Scheduling
- Employee Productivity Monitoring
It’s one of the best time tracking software for construction. As of this writing date, it has 1236 reviews and 4.6 stars on Capterra.
“We’ve always had prompt response by the HS staff when we’ve had a question. For the price, the program is easy to use, and provides the comprehensive reporting needed for tracking employee contributions and accurate job costing.”Click here to read the full review.
ClockShark offers a great deal of features and functionality, some of which include:
It’s one of the best employee time tracking apps for construction. As of this writing date, it has 1614 reviews and 4.7 stars on Capterra.
“Initially was just looking for an easy software to keep track of time for our guys. But after seeing how easy and simple the software was we went ahead and started incorporating other details that will become helpful for any future reference either for office staff or our outside staff.”Click here to read the full review.
Try Buddy Punch for Free
Buddy Punch is the best construction time tracking software. To learn more, visit our site and:
You May Also Like…
- 7 Best Construction Time Card Apps (With Real-Time Reports)
- 8 Best Mobile Time Clock Apps (iOS and Android)
- 6 Best Clock In Clock Out Systems (Desktop and Mobile Devices)
- Lower Your Labor Costs by Eliminating Time Theft
- 8 Best Employee Time Clocking Apps (to Help You Increase Profitability)
- Buddy Punch’s Notifications Feature
- 5 Best Punch In and Out Apps (to Streamline Your Payroll Processing)
- Buddy Punch’s GPS Time Tracking Feature
- Buddy Punch’s Feature to Track Time Off
- 7 Best QuickBooks Time Alternatives (Pricing, Functionality, How Each Tool Fits Into Your Workflow, etc.)
- 7 Best Apps to Tracking Employee Location
- Buddy Punch’s Integrations with Payroll Providers and Accounting Software
- 5 Best Crew Scheduling Apps & Software (for Construction Companies)
- Buddy Punch’s Job Costing Feature (Applicable to the Construction Industry, Among Others)
- 5 Best Timesheet Software with GPS (In-Depth Look)
- Downsides of Paper Timesheets and Why You Should Switch to Software
- 9 Best Apps to Track Employee Hours (An In-Depth Guide)