In this post, we’ll share:
- A brief overview of how Buddy Punch (our mobile timesheet app) works. In short, employees can easily punch in and out from their phones (iPhone or Android). They could also do so from a tablet or computer.
- A detailed overview of Buddy Punch’s accountability features (e.g., limit employee punches to a certain location, device, and so on).
- A detailed overview of Buddy Punch’s payroll features (e.g., on-demand payroll reports, time off tracking, payroll provider integrations, and more).
- A list of Buddy Punch’s online reviews on Capterra, a well established software review platform.
- A list of four other mobile timesheet apps, alongside their key features and reviews.
Best Mobile Timesheet Apps
1. Buddy Punch
Brief Overview of How Our Mobile Timesheet App Works
At a high level, with Buddy Punch:
1. Employees can punch in and out via our intuitive and easy-to-use mobile app, which works with iPhone and Android. They could also do so from a tablet or computer.
As one of our customers noted in their review on Capterra, “It has a very simple interface. Easy to punch in and out as well as check timecards. I think both the smartphone version and the desktop version were well-designed. It doesn’t try to do too much and make things complicated, since the main purpose is just to clock in and out, and it efficiently allows the user to do exactly that.”
2. As employees punch in and out, Buddy Punch automatically calculates the number of hours they’ve worked, time off, overtime, and more.
This information is available for easy reference via the app. You can also download it in the form of a PDF or Excel spreadsheet:
As one of our customers noted in their review on Capterra, “We used to add up timesheets manually each week. When you have over 20 employees and they all have different pay scales, it can be very time consuming… I like how easy it is to use and the time it has saved us each week on payroll. The employees like seeing their time live each day as well.”
Buddy Punch’s Features That Increase Employee Accountability
Many business owners worry about time theft and buddy punching, as this leads to inaccurate hours and overpaying employees.
For this reason, we offer a buffet of accountability features that can restrict employee punches to a certain device (e.g., their personal iPhone or Android smartphone), a location (e.g., within 300 feet of your business address), and so on.
We’ll cover these features in detail below. Note that they’re completely optional and are turned off by default.
What if an employee attempts to punch in from their phone before they’re at work?
If an employee tries to submit a punch outside your designated geofence (e.g., on their phone from the parking lot), then they’ll receive an error message and be asked to try again within the proper location.
What if you have multiple worksites or business locations? In that case, you can set up multiple geofences from which employees can punch in and out.
IP Address Locking lets you limit employee punches to a specific device (whether it be an iPhone, Android, tablet, or computer).
You can also limit punches to a certain Wi-Fi network that employees use (e.g., Verizon-C8). So, for example, employees could only successfully submit a punch if their phone was connected to that network.
With Photos on Punch, each time an employee punches in and out, they’re required to take a selfie photo using our smartphone app.
Ideally, the photo should contain the employee’s face and surrounding background.
This is our most useful feature for preventing buddy punching, and you can quickly scan through all the photos via a central dashboard:
Buddy Punch’s Features to Save Time on Payroll
Traditional payroll processes (e.g., doing manual calculations and using Excel) are notoriously inefficient.
Up next, we’ll list several features that will make payroll faster and more accurate.
As we’ve mentioned, Buddy Punch automatically calculates the number of hours employees have worked, time off, overtime, and more. This information is available for easy reference via the app. You can also download it in the form of a PDF or Excel CSV, as pictured above.
Cut down on manual entry work by setting up an integration with your preferred payroll provider:
- QuickBooks Online (See setup instructions.)
- QuickBooks Desktop (See setup instructions.)
- SurePayroll (See setup instructions.)
- Paychex (See setup instructions.)
- Paylocity (See setup instructions.)
- ADP Workforce Now (See setup instructions.)
- Workday (See setup instructions.)
- Gusto (See setup instructions.)
- Payment Evolution (See setup instructions.)
- Wagepoint (See setup instructions.)
- iSolved (See setup instructions.)
- Justworks (See setup instructions.)
- And more
Buddy Punch offers a plethora of time off tracking features. For example:
- Employees can easily send time off requests through the Buddy Punch mobile app. (This can be optionally sent to an administrator for approval.)
- Both employers and employees can view in-app time off balance reports.
Note that many other features have an accompanying help doc article and video (which will help you get the most out of Buddy Punch).
Buddy Punch Offers Many Other Features
Click here to view an extensive feature list. Some of the features we haven’t covered in this article include:
- Employee Scheduling
- Overtime Calculations
- Time Card Approvals
- Project Tracking / Job Codes
- Multiple Punch and Login Options
- Adding, Editing, or Deleting Punches
- And much more
Online Reviews on Capterra
As of the writing date, Buddy Punch has 705 reviews and 4.8 out of 5 stars on Capterra.
We’ve pulled a few reviews below, and you can find the complete list here.
“Buddy Punch is easy to use and easy to figure out. Customer service is responsive. The few times I’ve needed help (very rare) they were super responsive and made sure my problem was completely solved. Staff loves the mobile app. It makes punching in/out easy so staff can punch in as they enter the building because inevitably they will be waylaid with questions before they even get to their computer. Buddy Punch is constantly upgrading and improving. There are many ‘bells and whistles’ that we don’t even use- but it is nice to know they are there if we ever need them. I would recommend Buddy Punch to anyone.”Click here to read the full review.
“I love the convenience of using both the computer and the mobile app for clocking in and out, editing punches, viewing time cards and submitting requests. Buddy Punch is SO easy to use and understand and I love all of the features that have been made available to me. By far the most convenient time-card method I have ever used.”Click here to read the full review.
“Buddy Punch is simple in design and easy to use. Hours and PTO track effortlessly. The mobile app feature is very convenient.”Click here to read the full review.
Try Buddy Punch for Free and Request a Demo
Connecteam offers a wide range of features and functionality, some of which include:
- Employee Time Clock
- Employee Scheduling
- Employee Task Management
- Employee Training
- Employee Communication
- Checklists and Forms
- And more
It’s one of the best mobile timesheet apps. As of this writing date, Connecteam has 191 reviews and 4.8 out of 5 stars on Capterra.
“The user-end is designed for mobile use, so it’s super convenient and easy to use your personal mobile device to stay connected with the team. There are so many time-saving features available that take advantage of the tools we already have on hand and make an impact on our daily operations. The mobile app is clear, looks great, and even incorporated our logo into the initialization window. Very professional.”Click here to read the full review.
OnTheClock offers a wide range of features and functionality, some of which include:
It’s a great mobile timesheet software. As of this writing date, OnTheClock has 515 reviews and 4.7 out of 5 stars on Capterra.
“I love the ease of clocking in using my mobile device. As someone who has always had to punch in on a computer, I know first hand that computers sometimes take their time opening and connecting to the internet for you to do anything. That’s never fun, especially when you need to clock in. This has been a great product to use instead.”Click here to read the full review.
Hubstaff offers a wide range of features and functionality, some of which include:
- Online Time Reporting
- Employee Scheduling
- Employee Productivity Monitoring
- Automated Payroll & Invoicing
- GPS Location Tracking
- And more
It’s a great mobile timesheet attendance app. As of this writing date, Hubstaff has 1280 reviews and 4.6 out of 5 stars on Capterra.
“We’ve enjoyed the ability to use it for our remote employees, whether they are working from home offices or at job sites. The mobile app tracks location, included in the price.”Click here to read the full review.
5. When I Work
When I Work offers a offers a wide range of features and functionality, some of which include:
It’s a great timesheet mobile app. As of this writing date, When I Work has 953 reviews and 4.5 out of 5 stars on Capterra.
“We love the fact that our employees can access it on their phones. Our employees are college students, so being able to use it on a mobile device is crucial. Our old program didn’t have that functionality.”Click here to read the full review.
Try Buddy Punch for Free and Request a Demo
You May Also Like…
- 7 Best Employee Scheduling Software Apps: Features & Reviews
- 6 Best Employee Timesheet Apps & Software
- 6 Best Time Clock Apps & Software
- 5 Free Online Time Clock Software for Employees (And a Paid Option)
- 8 Best Mobile Time Clock Apps (Android and iOS)
- 5 Best Simple Time Clock Software for Small Businesses
- Project Management Software Solutions to Keep Your Employees On Track
- 9 Best Apps to Track Time For Your Employees
- 10 Best Clock In Clock Out Apps for Small Businesses (In-Depth Comparison)
- 5 Best iPad Time Clock Apps (In-Depth Look)
- How to Prevent Buddy Punching and Keep Team Members Accountable (Via Our Simple Time Tracking Solution)
- Buddy Punch’s PTO Tracking Features
- 13 Best Employee Time Tracking Software (Streamline Your Operations)
- 4 Best Ways to Track Employee Hours (Paper Timesheets, Employee Time Tracking Apps, and More)
- How to Use Buddy Punch to Add, Edit, or Delete the Duration of Time Entries As An Employee
- 4 Time Clock Apps with a Free Plan (And a Paid Option)
- Remote Team Management: How to Be Effective Online
- 7 Best Time Card Apps for Construction and Field Crews (With Real-Time Reports)
- 7 QuickBooks Time Alternatives (Pricing, Functionality, How Each Tool Fits Into Your Workflow, etc.)
- Buddy Punch’s Notifications Feature
- 7 Things That Keep Freelancers Up at Night
- 6 Best Clock In Clock Out Systems (Easily Track Working Hours)
- Employee Time Tracking Using Excel Spreadsheets: Templates, Downsides & Alternatives
- How Your Time Management System Can Impact Your Profitability