In this article, we’ll start by discussing how Buddy Punch (our time clock app with face recognition) works, and how you can increase employee accountability.
Then, to help you make a well-informed choice, we’ll list two other apps that allow employees to punch in and out via facial recognition.
Best Facial Recognition Time Clock Apps
1. Buddy Punch
Buddy Punch is a time clock software with a plethora of features to increase employee accountability.
While we’ll only focus on Facial Recognition Punching in this article, we also offer:
- Geofencing: Limits punches to a specific location.
- IP Address Locking: Limits punches to a specific device or Wi-Fi network.
- Photos on Punch: Employees take a selfie photo each time they punch in or out.
- And more.
Beyond employee accountability, we offer a plethora of features that (1) save you hours on payroll, and (2) streamline the scheduling process. If you’d like to learn more, see our full list of features here.
With that context, let’s dive into how our Facial Recognition Punching feature works.
Buddy Punch’s Facial Recognition Feature: What Is It and How Does It Work?
What is facial recognition?
With Facial Recognition Punching, employees can punch in and out by showing their face to a smartphone (iPhone or Android), iPad, or a webcam on their computer.
If it doesn’t match the image on file, then employees are presented with an error message and asked to try again.
How does it work?
The first step is to set a profile picture for each employee. You can do so with ease via the Buddy Punch dashboard.
There are three options to set a profile picture:
- Option 1: Upload a picture that’s already saved on your device.
- Option 2: Capture an image via a live webcam.
- Option 3: Add a profile picture directly from the employee’s profile.
Options 1 and 2 are pictured below:
Option 3 is pictured below:
If you’d like to opt for the third option (adding a profile picture directly from the employee’s profile), then we advise asking your employees to set up a profile picture using the step-by-step instructions in this article.
Important Tips for Choosing a Facial Recognition Picture
We recently published a help doc article with four useful tips on choosing a picture for our Facial Recognition feature. These tips include:
- The employee’s face should take up a sizable, central portion of the frame.
- The employee should have a neutral facial expression.
- If possible, there should be a light source in front of the employee. (A shadow across the face minimizes the effectiveness of facial recognition technology.)
- While the background doesn’t have to be a certain color (e.g., white or black), there should be a clear distinction between the employee’s face and the background.
In that article, we shared an example photo that fits the above four guidelines:
Note that this is one of many useful help doc articles on our site. View the full list here, and easily navigate it by using the search bar and typing the relevant term (e.g., “facial recognition”).
In addition, you can always reach out to us via live chat with any questions. We have a median first response time of 54 seconds during business hours. This is not a given, and as one of our customers mentioned as part of their review, “Some companies have no chat or phone number, and you wait days to hear back from an email.”
We do not outsource customer support to an outside organization. Anyone you’ll chat with is an employee that’s been trained in-house, has deep knowledge of the product, and can thoroughly answer your questions. As one of our customers mentioned as part of their review, “The area I am most impressed with is with their support — they respond quickly, accurately, and offer real solutions.”
Buddy Punch’s Online Reviews
As of this writing, Buddy Punch has 4.8 out of 5 stars and 682 reviews on Capterra (a popular software review site).
Below is a small sampling of our reviews on Capterra:
“I love the facial recognition feature and other features that are offered to ensure that your staff is on the job site in order to sign in. I like how easy the PTO requesting is for the staff and for admin to approve. It’s a little bit of work trying to get all of the PTO hours in for all employees, especially if they work different hours and have different PTO hours, but the team at Buddy Punch are always available to help with questions. That is one of the things I think are most important- the great customer service. The accessibility to actual people who can help is valuable.”Click here to read the full review.
“The facial recognition feature really adds a lot of security to the easy-to-use app. Quick and easy set up for mobile phones.”Click here to read the full review.
“I found Buddy Punch was easy to use and very well done. I found the software very easy to work in and love the facial recognition feature.”Click here to read the full review.
“We signed up for the trial period, and our employees were impressed immediately. They were able to start… immediately with zero training or assistance, which was a priority for us. The system is also very easy to use from an administrator end.”Click here to read the full review.
“Minimal training for end users (employees or managers). The back end (admin) features are just as simple and intuitive. We wanted a product that was simple to use, cost friendly and allowed us to customize — all of these areas were met. Very impressed!”Click here to read the full review.
Interested in Learning More?
Timeero’s features include, but are not limited to:
- Face RecognitionTime Clock
- Time Tracking
- GPS Tracking
- Mileage Tracking
- Time Off Tracking
- And more
It’s a great face recognitiontime clock software, and it currently has 4.4 out of 5 stars and 63 reviews on Capterra.
“I like how it saves me from clocking in my employees hours. Before, employees would text me hours and I would put it in an Excel sheet. Now I have Timeero. Super awesome tool!”Click here to read the full review.
ClockShark’s features include, but are not limited to:
- Facial Recognition Time Clock
- Mobile Time Tracking
- Quotes, Invoices & Payments
- Job Tracking + Communication
- GPS Time Tracking
- And more
It’s one of the best face recognitiontime clock apps, and it currently has 4.7 out of 5 stars and 1673 reviews on Capterra.
“We moved from a complicated spreadsheet and paper timesheets to this system and it has been a fantastic overhaul. We are saving time and coordination efforts already just by using the clock in / out feature. Here this week we will be moving forward with the scheduling feature as well.”Click here to read the full review.
Interested in Trying Out Buddy Punch?
Watch our demo video above, and visit our site to:
You May Also Like:
- 7 Best Employee Scheduling Software Apps: Features & Reviews
- 6 Best Timesheet Apps & Software (In-Depth Breakdown)
- 6 Best Employee Time Clock Software & Apps (In-Depth Look)
- 5 Free Online Time Clock Software for Employees (And a Paid Option)
- 13 Best Employee Time Tracking Software & Apps for Small Business Owners
- Buddy Punch’s Functionality: Complete Overview
- 8 Best Mobile Time Clock Apps (iOS and Android)
- 5 Best Timekeeping Software for Employees (Desktop and Mobile App)
- 10 Best Time Card Apps for Small Businesses
- Using Buddy Punch as a Terminal or Kiosk
- 9 Best Time and Attendance Software (In-Depth Post)
- Why We Built a Time Clock Software for QuickBooks & How It Works